Use these steps to find and replace URLs in a Clickstream.
✅ Plan Availability: Corporate, Essentials, Professional, International, and Premium
👥 User roles: Owner, Admins, Researchers, and Collaborators
For more information, see our article on how to find your plan and user role.
On this page:
Find and replace URLs in a Clickstream
- Find and Replace allows you to simplify your Clickstream.
- To make your analysis easier, you can:
- Rename long URLs using a couple of words.
- Group together URLs that might not be identical but are essentially the same page.
To find and replace URLs in a Clickstream, follow these steps:
- Open the Logmanager.
- Scroll to Find & replace.
- Enter the URL or part of the URL you'd like to search for in the Find field.
- Depending on what you want to do, choose one of the following from the dropdown:
- Choose what you'd like to replace or delete:
- This text only
- The whole URL
- Everything after this text
- This text and everything after it
- In the For field, add the text to replace what you've chosen in step 5 (Only if you've chosen to replace).
- Choose one of these actions:
- Replace/Delete All: Replace or delete the text in all URLs at once.
- Replace/Delete: Replace or delete the text in each URL one by one.
- Find next: Ignore the change for the URL and look for the next URL that matches the criteria
Let's say we have a study with 200 completes on an online shopping site where each participant executed a search for a different item. However, knowing specifically what they searched for is not the purpose of the study.
- Challenge: The Clickstream will by default show up to 200 different paths with the different URL boxes displaying "http://www.someonlineshoppingsite.com/search=_____".
Solution: To simplify the Clickstream:
Use Find & Replace then select This text and everything after it.
- In the Find field, enter http://www.someonlineshoppingsite/search.
In the for field, enter search.
- The term entered in the for field is case-sensitive.
- Keep this in mind when finding, replacing, and/or deleting text.
- Click Replace All.
- In the Clickstream, the 200 click boxes will now be combined as one click box with the label "search".
- Use Find & Replace then select This text and everything after it.
Reset changes made to the Clickstream
To reset changes made in the Find & replace section, use one of these options:
- Undo: Click Undo to reset the last change made.
- Click Redo All to apply existing filters to URLs collected in your Clickstreams that were already replaced or deleted from previous results.
- Redo All makes changes to all new data received.
Advanced Undo: Use Advanced Undo to reset certain changes.
- Click Advanced Undo to view the Edited URLs.
- Check the box next to the changes you want to undo.
- Click Undo Selection.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.