Use these steps to add a Starting (Initial) URL to a Navigation task.
✅ Plan Availability: All Plans
👥 User roles: Owner, Admins, and Researchers
For more information, see our article on how to find your plan and user role.
On this page:
About Starting (Initial) URLs
The Starting URL is the page where participants start a Navigation task. For example:
- A landing page
- The page right before beginning a purchasing process
- A blank page with instructions
The Starting URL can come from these sources:
- Live sites
- Authenticated sites
- Prototype sites
- Competitor sites
- Staging environments (that are stable enough for use)
- For studies with multiple Navigation tasks, starting from the second Navigation task, you can allow participants to Continue at the same page where participants left off in the previous task instead of the starting URL.
- For mobile web studies, make sure to double-check the URLs as they are sometimes different than the URL in a desktop browser.
For password protected sites you can:
- Allow users to use their own credentials to log in.
- Provide customers with login credentials in your task description
Add a Starting (Initial) URL to a Navigation task
- Go to the Study Builder tab of your study.
- Click Study in the left menu.
- Choose the Navigation task. In Advanced UX Research studies, stay on the Settings tab.
- Under Starting URL, add the URL in the Starting URL field.
- Click Save.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.