This article applies to: UserTesting
How it works
1. Schedule your Live Conversation interview
From your UserTesting Dashboard, select Schedule a live conversation from the Create test drop-down menu.
- Sessions can typically be scheduled on the same day, depending on the complexity of your test.
Live Conversation notifications
To ensure everyone is on the same page in terms of scheduling a Live Conversation, email notifications are sent out:
Creators and Moderators receive...
- One confirmation email the day the Live Conversation/study is ordered.
- One email once a contributor accepts an invite.
They also receive one email reminder...
- The day before the interview at 1:00 am, PST
- The day of the interview at 1:00 am, PST
Contributors receive one email reminder...
- The day before the interview at 1:00 am, PST.
- On the day of the interview at 1:00 am, PST.
Note: Only customers with designated license types who can schedule a Live Conversation test will see this option. If you don't see this option and would like to schedule a Live Conversation study, please contact your team's admin or your customer success manager (CSM).
2. Choose your audience
Recruit contributors from Invite Network or UserTesting's networks. UserTesting Network contributors who participate in Live Conversation tests receive additional compensation due to the increased complexity and time investment.
If using Invite Network:
- Bypass demographic filters.
- Customize only the description for your test (optional) and provide your availability.
- Receive a link (after creating your test) to email to potential contributors.
Once contributors sign up, UserTesting sends them an email confirming their time slot and then sends reminders to those contributors the day before and the day of the scheduled session.
Note: Invite Network contributors must join the session through the reminder emails.
If you are using contributors from UserTesting's networks, you will...
- Select demographic requirements to filter potential contributors and, if you wish, add Screener Questions.
- Define tasks and/or questions. Doing so is necessary since you'll be speaking directly with your test contributors.
3. Provide your availability
- On the calendar, identify times you are available.
Optionally, use the Advance notice feature on the calendar to prevent last-minute interviews. Note: When you launch a Live Conversation test with the Advance notice applied, you won't be able to remove the Advance notice block. To remove it, you will need to duplicate the test and relaunch it.
4. Join your Live Conversation
- On the day of your Live Conversation, you'll see a button on your Dashboard that appears 15 minutes before the scheduled interview time.
Live Conversation sessions are conducted over Zoom. You can download Zoom to your desktop or use the web/browser version.
If you're a moderator using a Chrome or Edge browser, you will have the Join or Join with note-taking options.
If you're a colleague, you will see only the Join option. When ready, click the button to join the Zoom session.
Note: To ensure contributors are who they say they are, ask them to describe their most recent related experience at the beginning of the test.
Choose your role
When joining a live conversation, you will have the option to choose your designated role.
- The moderator leads the interview and runs the session.
- The co-moderator supports the moderator.
- The hidden observer is only able to view the session.
- This also allows the opportunity for anyone to act as moderator if the initial moderator is unavailable. However, there can only be one moderator joining at a time.
Hidden observers for Live Conversation is a way for others to watch a Live Conversation without joining the active interview and being seen by the contributor.
This feature enables more stakeholders to hear insights directly from contributors in real time.
To enable a Live Conversation make sure "Stream interview sessions for Hidden Observers" is selected under "Interview setup."
Things to Note:
- Customers will not have to log in; there is a “Guest Experience” option.
Hidden Observers cannot interact or directly communicate with moderators, co-moderators, or contributors.
- For that kind of communication, alternative methods (e.g., Slack Channels and G-chat) are recommended.
- You can have as many hidden observers join the stream as needed.
- The test creator must join for hidden observers to view the session.
5. After your Live Conversation
- All Live Conversation sessions will be recorded automatically and available on your Dashboard to review, make annotations, and share.
- Transcripts and sentiment analysis are available once the Live Conversation session is uploaded.
- The Live Conversation session is usually available within two hours after it's completed.
Contributor names may be shown during the session; however, names will not appear in the recording.
- Moderators can ask contributors to edit their names in the session. Clips made from the recordings—and highlight reels made from those clips—will not display contributor names.
- Please contact Support to have recordings deleted.
- For more information on payments, please review How Much Are Test Contributors Compensated?
Want to learn more? Check out these Knowledge Base articles...
Interested in growing your skills? Check out our University courses...
Need hands-on training?
Can't find your answer?