Understand the Observer and Notetaker experience during a Moderated session.
✅ Plan Availability: All Plans
👥 User roles: Owner, Admins, Researchers, and Collaborators
For more information, see our article on how to find your plan and user role.
On this page:
- Join a Moderated session
- Session controls
- Chat with the team
- Take notes (Notetakers only)
- Mute or unmute yourself (Notetakers only)
- In Moderated studies, stakeholders can join sessions and not be seen or heard by the participant.
- There are two possible roles to choose from:
- Can only observe.
- They don't need a UserZoom login.
- Can observe and take notes during the session.
- They need access to the study in UZ Manager.
- Notetakers and Observers can use the chat to:
- Talk to the team
- See the participant's chat with the moderator.
- Participants don't know that these roles are there.
Join a Moderated session
- Use the For you and your teammates link sent by the moderator.
- Select your role in the new tab that opens in your browser.
- Choose your role:
- Log in to the UZ Manager.
- Complete the System Check.
- Click Join session.
- Click Join session.
- Stay in the Waiting Room until the Moderator lets the Participant in.
- If you have any issues, refer to Troubleshooting.
Chat Notes Settings Help
Notes are only available to Notetakers when recording is started by the Moderator.
Chat with the team
- Click Chat in the vertical menu on the right.
- Select a chat option using
- Allows you to chat with other moderators, notetakers, and observers.
- Participants can't see this chat.
- Allows you to chat with the Participant.
- Everyone in the session can see this chat.
- Your team
- Use the text box at the bottom to send messages.
- Remember, chat messages will be gone when the meeting ends.
Take notes (Notetakers only)
Moderators and Notetakers can take notes during the session.
- Click Notes in the vertical menu on the right.
- Access notes when recording is started by the moderator.
- View your notes when analyzing the videos of the session.
- If you'd like to export your notes, copy and paste them into another document.
Mute or unmute yourself (Notetakers only)
- Click the Mute button at the bottom right corner.
- Remember when unmuting, the participant is not aware of your presence.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.