✅ Plan Availability:
Open interview (No tasks): All plans
Structured interview (With tasks): Essentials, Professional, International, and Premium
👥 User roles: Owner, Admins, Researchers, and Collaborators
For more information, see our article on how to find your plan and user role.
On this page:
- About Moderated Usability Testing
- Open Interview vs Structured Interview
- Roles and features per role
About Moderated Usability Testing
- Choose between two types of Moderated studies:
- Open Interviews: Talk to the participant and see where the conversation takes you.
- Structured Interviews: Follow a set of questions and/or Navigation tasks while talking with the participant.
- If you'd like to run a Scheduled Moderated study, see Schedule a Moderated Session.
- The study has to be live for participants to:
- Schedule a session
- Reschedule the session
- Cancel their session
- When running a Scheduled Moderated study, you can include a Screener.
- Moderated studies without scheduling can't include a Screener.
- Check these before building a Moderated study:
- Learn how to create a Moderated study in just a few steps.
- Moderated session headcount total is 50. This includes:
- It's easy to speak 1:1 with participants.
- Get feedback on any live experience or prototype on mobile or desktop.
- Take time-stamped notes to start your analysis in session.
- Get the efficiency and effectiveness of a virtual lab.
- Stakeholders can observe and take notes without distracting your participants.
- Time-stamped notes, transcripts, clips & marks make video analysis quick and easy.
- Bring all your moderated research into UserZoom, alongside your unmoderated studies.
Open Interview vs Structured Interview
Switching between Open and Structured Interviews isn't possible after the study is created.
- Open Interviews, The UserZoom Moderated solution, show participants the Welcome Page and the Legal Consent Page before joining the session.
- There are no questionnaires or tasks.
- Can test mobile web and mobile apps.
- For mobile apps:
- No SDK integration is needed.
- The UserZoom Live app records the participant's whole screen. This lets them switch between the UserZoom Live app and the browser or mobile app being tested.
- Available for all plans.
- Structured Interviews can be considered the moderated version of Basic Usability tests.
- For Structured Interviews on desktop that include Navigation Tasks, participants have to install the UserZoom Surveys browser extension.
- Available for Essentials, Professional, International, and Premium plans.
Roles and features per role
Refer to Moderated session: Roles.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.