Learn how to run prototype tests with a variety of tools in conjunction with UserTesting.
This article applies to: UserTesting
On this page:
- Things to consider
- Adobe XD
- Flinto Lite
- Flinto (Lite/Mac)
Things to consider
- When launching an app test, point the participant to the app they need to download.
- Some versions of prototyping software provide password protection. The password can be provided in a task and changed once the test is completed.
- Always indicate if prototypes or mockups are being tested. This ensures participants understand and provide intended feedback.
- Learn more about the UserTesting and Adobe XD plugin.
- Axure is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android.
- Prototypes will automatically appear in fullscreen mode.
- Follow the instructions here to host your prototype online.
- Create a prototype test in UserTesting and paste the URL provided in the test plan.
- Figma is fully supported within the UserTesting mobile iOS and Android recorders.
- The Mobile Recorder automatically enters Flinto prototypes into full-screen mode (hiding the status bar).
- Paste your prototype's quick link as the URL to start the test.
- Flinto for Mac mobile prototypes is only accessible on iOS devices.
- Testing a Flinto for Mac prototype requires extensive set-up by the testers and is not recommended for self-service testing.
- Contact your Customer Success Manager for information on working with the Professional Services team to set up your test.
- Framer prototypes are fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile recorder on iOS and Android.
- Prototypes will be automatically entered into fullscreen mode (hiding the status bar).
- Paste your prototype's Share link to start the test.
- InVision Cloud is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android.
- Prototypes will automatically display in full-screen mode (hiding the status bar).
- Learn more about extracting a share URL by clicking here.
- Justinmind is supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android.
- Justinmind prototypes do not scale correctly on larger phones (on Safari, and on the Mobile Recorder).
- For more information on how to use this tool, find it here.
- Marvel is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android.
- The Mobile Recorder automatically enters Marvel prototypes into full-screen mode (hiding the status bar).
- Paste the prototype link as the URL to start the test.
- Very complex prototypes could overwhelm the mobile browser.
- Proto.io generates a shareable URL that can be opened in a mobile browser, or via the Proto.io app. Find detailed information here.
- It is suggested to use the mobile browser option.
- Make sure to inform participants of the need to download the app in the screener and provide instructions.
- ProtoPie requires the contributors to download an app before mobile web testing.
- Add a screener question that indicates this additional requirement.
Want to learn more? Check out these Knowledge Base articles...
Interested in growing your skills? Check out our University courses...
Need hands-on training?
Can't find your answer?
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.