Learn about the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). This article is an overview of compliance best practices when using UserZoom Manager. This information should by no means be seen as legal advice. We strongly advise customers to always consult their internal compliance team and/or privacy attorney regarding legal matters.
✅ Plan Availability: All Plans
👥 User roles: Owner, Admins, Researchers, and Collaborators
For more information, see our article on how to find your plan and user role.
On this page:
What is CCPA?
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is a regulation intended to enhance privacy rights and consumer protection.
- CCPA impacts organizations that collect personal data of residents of California in the United States.
CCPA discerns between these key roles:
- The party who determines the purposes of the data collection and stated how the data is to be used.
- UserZoom customers are the Business.
The Service Provider
- The party who executes the instructions given by the business regarding data processing.
- UserZoom is the Service Provider.
- The individual whose data is being collected.
- Participants of a UserZoom study are the Consumer.
- The Business
- Businesses collecting data from UserZoom participants are responsible for guaranteeing that any rights defined under the CCPA are respected.
- Learn how UserZoom can help you comply with CCPA.
How this impacts your organization when using UserZoom
The regulation covers California residents, who are defined as:
- Every individual who is in the State of California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose.
- Every individual who is domiciled in the State of California who is outside the state for a temporary or transitory purpose.
- Therefore, US residents participating in UserZoom studies may be under the scope of this regulation.
CCPA provides three categories of rights to consumers:
The right to access personal information collected about them in the 12 months prior to the request.
A Consumer who seeks access to, or who seeks to correct, amend, restrict processing, object to data should direct his query to the customer (who is the Business). UserZoom, as Service Provider, is not authorized to take further action without the customer’s authorization.
The right to deletion of their personal information.
A Consumer who seeks access to delete data should direct his query to the customer (who is the Business). UserZoom, as Service Provider, is not authorized to take further action without the customer’s authorization.
The right to opt out of sales of their personal information.
UserZoom does not sell personal data to Third Parties. As specified in our Privacy Policies, UserZoom will only process customer data to make it available through the UserZoom Platform.
- The right to access personal information collected about them in the 12 months prior to the request.
If my company is based outside of California, does the CCPA apply to me?
When data from California citizens (consumers) is collected, CCPA is applicable. Company location has no impact.
Can I avoid collecting Personal Data from a participant?
Yes, by default, UserZoom doesn't collect any personal data. Studies can be designed so they don't ask for any personal data.
How does UserZoom help you comply with the CCPA obligation to return or destroy all personal data?
UserZoom allows you the possibility to delete the data at the study level through the platform. For granular data deletion, you can always contact us.
Can I delete the customer’s personal data from UserZoom backups?
No. The nightly backup dataset contains all customer data and is used for disaster recovery purposes only. This is required for legal and compliance reasons related to availability obligations. All UserZoom backups are encrypted by default as a compensatory measure.
Does UserZoom ensure that customer data is accessed only by employees that have a reasonable justification for doing so?
Only qualified UserZoom employees with a specific need are permitted to access your account. A common reason for accessing your account would be when Product Support has been contacted and need to troubleshoot or investigate. UserZoom employees do not routinely access any customer account except when specifically asked and solely for the purpose of providing the services under the agreement.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.