Use these steps to create and launch a desktop test from the UserTesting Platform.
This article applies to: UserTesting
On this page:
Launch a desktop test
To launch a desktop test on the UserTesting Platform, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Dashboard.
- Click the Create test button. Select Create a test.
💡Tip: You can also Customize a template if you need inspiration.
- Select Website for what you're testing.
- Choose whether you want to recruit people from UserTesting (Build audience) or invite people yourself (Create link).
- Give your test a name.
- Edit your audience. Use screeners and filters to build your audience, or add any necessary branding and requirements if inviting your own people.
- Go to Build test plan to start creating your test.
- Fill out the following details:
- Preview your test plan and make any necessary changes.
- Return to the main test page and click Launch Test, or Schedule Test to have the test go out at a certain time.
Note: Depending on your account's Approval flow settings, you may need to request a review of your test before launching it.
Install desktop software for a Live Conversation
If you're testing a desktop application during a Live Conversation, some participants might struggle with the process of installing the app. Follow these tips to minimize obstacles:
- Create a troubleshooting guide for the moderator by test-running the app installation yourself and documenting the steps with screenshots that show both success and failure.
- Note whether you're asked to provide Personally Identifiable Information (PII) during the test run. Create test accounts and information, then integrate this information into the test plan.
- Test run and document the process of de-installing the app.
After conducting the test run for downloading the software, consider a two-part test:
- Conduct an unmoderated test in which you instruct participants to only download the desktop application.
- If, during the test run, you were asked to provide PII, include a screener question when recruiting participants for the unmoderated test that informs them that PII will be asked.
- Or, if possible, create dummy accounts and information.
- For those participants who succeeded in downloading the app, invite them to your Live Conversation.
💡Tip: Before the unmoderated test concludes, show participants how to de-install the software. You'll want to factor into your test plan the few minutes it will take to complete this de-installation process.
Want to learn more? Check out these Knowledge Base articles...
Interested in growing your skills? Check out our University courses...
Need hands-on training?
Can't find your answer?
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.