At a Glance
UserTesting provides three ways to recruit contributors for your test: the UserTesting Panel, My Panel, and My Recruit. This article explains the differences between the three types of panels and when to consider using each one.
UserTesting offers several options to find the right contributors for your test. You can…
- Choose the UserTesting Panel or My Panel to find contributors that UserTesting invites
- Or use My Recruit to send a one-time test link to anyone you choose
Scroll down to learn about each one.
The UserTesting Panel allows you to select people UserTesting has already recruited worldwide. There are two aspects of the UserTesting Panel that help you find the right contributors: Filters and Screener questions.
Filters are settings that allow you to select and limit criteria, such as age and income, and help you control the distribution of the test. Based on the information provided by the UserTesting Panel member, we offer the test only to those contributors who match the criteria you have selected.
Screener questions are multiple-choice questions that contributors have to answer correctly before they’re able to accept your test. Only contributors whose answers match the answers you were willing to accept will be included in the test.
Use the UserTesting Panel when…
- You need immediate feedback from contributors
- You want to recruit contributors from around the world
- You want UserTesting to handle the contributor recruiting process for you
My Panel allows you to ask your customers, fans, employees, and more to be on networks you create on the UserTesting app.
Create a My Panel by choosing the Panels options from the account menu dropdown. From here, you fill out the required information for your My Panel (for a detailed step-by-step, see our article on creating a My Panel). UserTesting handles the onboarding process and collects contributor information such as age, gender, and income.
The My Panel filters allow you to target the contributors you need for your test. With your My Panel, you can test with your trusted network again and again. Additionally, UserTesting compensates contributors, or you can choose to have an unpaid panel.
Use My Panel when…
- You want to test with audiences that are harder to find and not readily available on the UserTesting Panel
- You want to do continuous testing with the same group of employees, partners, or customers
- You want to test niche audiences that you’ve already identified, like people who use a specific software tool your company offers.
My Recruit allows you to recruit your contributors by generating a test link you send to anyone you like, from internal employees to a database of existing customers. Invite Network provides greater flexibility and gives you control over and responsibility for screening, communicating with, and compensating contributors.
Get started by customizing your study and building your test plan. Customize your tests by deciding the number of contributors and the length of the test and by inserting logos and any other branding material.
Once you’re ready, you’ll get the invitation link for your test, which you can send out to selected contributors. You can write your message to send with the invitation link or use one of UserTesting’s many templates.
Use My Recruit when…
- You want to send a one-time test to a specific group of people
- You want to be in charge of how you communicate with and compensate your contributors
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.