At a Glance
Instant insight displays the key findings in the Interactive Path Flow (IPF) visualization by automatically surfacing interesting patterns, trends, and anomalies for task-based questions.
Instant insight is available on the following subscriptions:
|Flex plan||Seat-based plan|
How It Works
1. To ensure instant insight information is displayed on the Metrics tab, set up task-based questions for a web-based experience (e.g. desktop web, mobile web, and web-based prototypes) when building a test.
2. After a test is completed, go to the Metrics tab to find the Interactive Path Flow (IPF) visualization. The UserTesting platform synthesizes interesting patterns of intent, sentiment, and behavior and summarizes the findings in cards above the IPF. To view more cards, scroll to the right.
3. The insights are prioritized by strength of the findings (i.e. how many contributors did or didn’t take a certain action, exhibit a certain sentiment, etc.).
4. Clicking on each instant insight card highlights the corresponding paths in the IPF, allowing you to quickly find and explore specific paths related to the insights that interest you.
5. Customize your instant insights by adding your own terminology to the intent path labels. Manually edit the intent labels if you want to align with your organization’s preferred terminology for sharing, or if you want to more easily analyze specific behaviors.
Click on the intent you want to edit from the path flow, then select Edit intent in the click map that appears below. Add the label you want, then click Update. The new label will appear in the instant insight cards.
The more feedback you provide, the better UserTesting can identify which insights will be most useful for your team.
6. To share instant insights, copy and paste them into any report you are sharing with your team. Note: Instant insights are not included in the Excel Export.
How to Use Instant Insight
- Use instant insights as a starting point for efficient analysis and to guide where to dig down into IPF data.
- Marking success screens in the path flows will update the instant insight cards to feature insights about those success screens. This can be valuable to understand behaviors that are predictors of success.
- Customizing intent labels will also be reflected within instant insight, highlighting additional trends and patterns and simplifying collaboration with other stakeholders.
- Leverage instant insights to quickly decipher results when comparing insights from multiple task-type questions within one study.
- Share instant insights with colleagues and stakeholders as preliminary findings from research and as points of interest to drive product development or UX discussions.
There are a few ways in which you can share instant insights with others.
Select Share from the results page of your test to generate a test link to share with anyone (if available on your account), or email the test to logged-in team members directly from the UserTesting platform. Read more about how to share test results.
Note: This method will share the entire test, not just instant insights.
You can also copy the content from the instant insights cards and paste it into a text document. Another option is to take a screenshot of the instant insights visualization and share it with your team as an image file.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.