At a Glance
The UserTesting Platform is available for testing customer experiences in German and French. Whether you are testing with people on the UserTesting Contributor Network or with your own networks, contributors will be onboarded, notified, and tested entirely in German or French.
How to Change Your Language Settings
To experience the UserTesting Platform in German or French, you will need to check your web browser settings. For instance, if your web browser language is set to German, then you will experience the Platform in German. If your web browser language is set to English, then you will experience the Platform in English.
For Chrome browsers, there are two ways to change your settings:
Locale switching plugin
- Add the Locale Switcher extension from the Chrome store.
- Click on the Extensions puzzle icon next to the URL bar.
- Open the locale extension and select German or French from the dropdown menu.
Changing the language via your browser settings
- Go to your Chrome browser settings menu.
- Search for Languages.
- Click Language > Add Language.
- Select German (Germany) or French - français, then click Add.
You can switch between the German or French product experience and the English product experience by changing your browser settings.
Features Available in German and French
UserTesting features are available in our German and French product experience with some exceptions.
UserTesting also has German and French language templates. The following is a list of current German and French language templates that can be found in the Template Gallery.
- Ad testing
- Buyer persona characteristics
- Customer satisfaction
- Visual design evaluation
- Visual design comparison
- Mobile app evaluation
- Website evaluation
- Concept validation
- Website comparison
- Prototype evaluation
There are some features that are not available or are not fully translated into German and French:
- Information Architecture - These are different test types. If a customer chooses any of these test types (Tree Test, Prioritization Matrix, SUS+), they will go from French to English (and back to French after they are done). See this demo video for the experience. The contributor experience of that test, however, will all be in French.
Note: Card Sort is an exception; it is now available in French for both contributors and customers.
- UserTesting Integrations - The Settings page is in German and French, as well as the descriptions for each integration. If you click on any of the integrations, the experience will switch to English.
- Video uploads - Videos that are in German and French can be uploaded, but the transcription won’t be available.
This feature is available in our German and French product experience; however, it will only work with English-speaking contributors:
- Keyword map - This feature is currently only available in English. German and French customers can still test with English-speaking contributors. While the words in the keyword map will be in English, the rest of the results page will be in German or French.
- Quick Answer tests
Setting Up a Test for German- and French-Speaking Contributors
To create a test targeting German- and French-speaking contributors, start from the audience selection page in the test launcher. Select language requirements from the list of filters.
Note: The default language for contributors is English, and the default country is all countries. If you want to focus on contributors located in Germany or France, you'll have to choose "Germany" or “France” from the Countries filter.
From this filter, select German or French. This is now the language the contributor will be prompted to speak during the test.
Contributors who’ve indicated they speak German or French (and meet your other demographic requirements) will automatically receive the screener question below (as well as your other screener questions). This screener doesn’t count against any screener limitations your account may have.
After you launch your test and receive feedback, your videos will come with German or French transcripts.
German and French Contributor Experience
Our entire contributor experience is in German and French as well. Contributors can access the German and French product through the same settings in their web browser or mobile device settings.
Keep in mind that some of our contributors speak multiple languages and may have their browser or device settings in English. If you want them to change their language settings to German or French, add instructions telling them to do so in the Other requirements section under Filters.
Note: It is important to set your language filter for contributors to the appropriate language before launching your test. This ensures that the transcripts for your test will be in the correct language. It is not possible to change transcripts from English to another language after a test is completed.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article, and when you submit your survey you'll be entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card. This survey should take 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential.