This article sets forth requirements for testing with minors. All customers must abide by this policy when testing with minors with UserTesting.
Process and Requirements
- Customers must purchase a designated Professional Services package and work directly with the UserTesting Professional Services team when conducting Tests with minors (“Minor Testing Panelists”). This is required to ensure all appropriate steps and precautions have been taken prior to launching Tests involving minors.
- Customers are required to agree to and sign UserTesting’s Minor Panelist Addendum. An employee at UserTesting must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the Minor Panelist Addendum and include the context in such requests outlining their customer’s Test plans/goals and detailing their interactions with the Professional Services team.
- UserTesting will allow customers that have signed the Minor Panelist Addendum to conduct Tests utilizing Minor Testing Panelists of any age in the United States, and between the ages of 16 and 17 if such individuals are located in Canada and the United Kingdom.
- Minor Testing Panelists will be recruited through their parent’s Participant account. Payment for the test is made to the parent via their Participant PayPal account.
- The parent or legal guardian must be present at all times during a test.
- Customers are responsible for ensuring their Tests do not prompt for or collect any personally identifiable information (“PII”) of Minor Testing Panelists. The UserTesting team will review Recordings to help ensure that no personally identifiable information (“PII”) is recorded, though the customer is ultimately responsible for ensuring its own compliance with this requirement as the owner of such Recordings.
- Customers must leverage one of the two Professional Services offerings when leveraging My Recruit or My Panel for testing with Minor Testing Panelists, and customers cannot utilize Minor Testing Panelists or add minors to My Panel on their own without leveraging Professional Services.
- Minor Testing Panelists must be recruited by having their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) register with UserTesting and pass the applicant screening criteria to be an approved Participant of the UserTesting panel. A parent or legal guardian must then grant their consent (both in writing and verbally immediately prior to the minor participating in the Test) to have the Minor Testing Panelist use the parent or guardian’s account.
- Parental consent must be obtained in three steps: first in the screener, second in the scenario, and third in the first task.
- Only when recruiting minors under 13 years of age in the United States, an e-sign Verifiable Consent Form must be signed by the parent or the legal guardian of the minor panelist.
Personal Identifiable Information (PII)
- PII cannot be recorded during a session. PII includes, but is not limited to first and last name, email address, phone number, street address, video/photo images of one’s face, or any other information that might be used either alone or in concert with other information to personally identify a Minor Testing Participant.
- During a webcam session (Live Conversation) or during an unmoderated session, the customer cannot capture a minor’s face as it constitutes sensitive PII and is prohibited on the UserTesting platform.
- Minor Testing Panelists cannot link their real social media accounts during a Test.
- The customer is responsible for any information shared with or by the Minor Testing Panelist during the session.