Before you can use your panels, you have to create them. There are three steps to creating a panel with My Panel:
- Create the panel and add a logo.
- Create a profile form for people to enter their information.
- Invite people to join the panel.
Let’s look first at the profile form itself, then how to build a profile form, and finally, how to create a test with the panels you create in My Panel.
Understanding the Profile Form Builder
The profile form builder lets you add questions for people to answer when they join your panel. These questions are called attribute types. You can also specify the format of answers to the questions. For example, you might ask people to provide their favorite color and restrict answers to 15 characters.
Here are the attribute types you can add to your profile form:
TextboxPeople enter anything—limited to 170 characters.
Single SelectPeople select only one item from a list.
MultiselectPeople select one or more items from a list.
Whole NumberPeople enter positive whole numbers.
DecimalPeople enter positive numbers with decimals.
As you add attributes to the form, you enter a question. Next, give the question a filter name so you can select it when you create tests.
Note: There is no filter name for the freeform Textbox attribute. You can see people’s answers when you look at their profiles, but you can’t filter by Textbox answers. For Single Select and Multiselect, you add the answer options that people select.
You can request personally identifiable information (PII) for each attribute you add to the profile form.
Once added to the form, attributes get an Options menu (…). Choose Show Options to show the PII checkbox. Choose Show Options again to hide the checkbox without deselecting it. Choose Duplicate to make a copy of the attribute with all the information you added. Choose Delete to delete the attribute.
All questions must be answered, so make sure you provide an option people can select when none of the answers for single select or multiselect questions apply to them, such as a 0 or N/A.
Understanding PII for My Panel
When you create a panel, you can set the panel’s PII status by selecting Show PII. This lets anyone on your account with access see PII when looking at a profile. PII, along with email addresses, is also included when you export a panel. Important: Once someone joins a panel, you cannot go back and change the PII status to hide PII or exclude it from exports.
For each question you add to the profile form, you can select “This is PII.” To comply with GDPR or CCPA, you need to select “This is PII” for each question requesting PII. This protects any PII people provide in their answers, such as names or phone numbers.
If you did not set the panel’s status to show PII, no one can see it. We store all PII in a secure way and delete it when you delete a person from a panel or when a person asks to be forgotten.
Let’s see how all this comes together by creating a panel and building an actual profile form.
Creating the Panel
- From the dashboard, choose Account Menu > Panels, then click the My Panel tab.
- Click Create a My Panel. a. Panel Name: Enter a name for your panel. b. Internal Name: If your team or account refers to the panel by another name or a name you don’t want participants to see, enter it here. c. Company Name: Enter the company name. d. If you want everyone on the account to see PII and include it in panel exports, select Show PII. e. If you don’t intend to pay participants, select “Don’t pay participants.” f. Custom Branding: If you want to include your logo on the branded landing page and emails to participants, drag the logo file to the drag area.
- Click Create.
Building the Profile Form
- Click the name of the panel you created, then click the Attributes tab.
- Drag attribute types to the left to build the profile form. Explanations of the attribute types are above in “Understanding the Profile Form.”
- When you are done, click Save.
- Click Get Link.
- Click Copy Link.
This provides a link that you can send to the people you want to join your panel. If you need to copy the link again later, choose Invite from the panel’s Options menu (…), then choose Copy Link.
Using Referral Codes
Add another dimension to filter your tests with referral codes. Use referral codes to invite people from different social platforms, or people who attended a conference, or fans in a loyalty program, and more. When you launch a test, you can select people based on the referral code they used to join a panel.
To use referral codes:
- Choose Invite from the Options menu and click Copy Link.
- Paste the link into a text editor, such as Notepad on Windows, or TextEdit on macOS. Invitation links always end with
?RID=at the end of the link, followed by a referral code:
- Email the invitation link with the referral code to anyone you want to join.
When you’re ready to launch a test, select Referral Code from the list of filters in the sidebar, then select a referral code to include the people who signed up with that referral code.
Once some people complete their profiles, you’re ready to launch tests to your new panel.
For Participant Support, visit the Panel help center.