Quick Answers are recorded video feedback of customers or prospects as they complete tasks and answer questions. The tasks and questions are written for you by UserTesting, and designed to answer the most common marketing challenges. You can read more about Quick Answers in Marketing Insight: Getting Started.
“Compare two websites” is one of seven types of Quick Answers in Marketing Insight. With it, you can get feedback on how easy it is to complete a task on two similar websites. You can test your own site(s) or your competitors’ sites.
After running this Quick Answer test, the Summary tab shows how many test participants preferred one site over the other, and provides two automatically generated highlight reels - split based on their responses - of them explaining why they answered the way they did.
If you want to dig into the findings, there are several options. The results table below the highlight reels provides additional feedback from participants about how they feel about that particular experience or activity. The Metrics and Session tabs provide the full recordings broken out by question or participant respectively.
When to use "Compare two websites"
Use “Compare two websites" to get critical competitive information for your marketing campaigns.
- Understand how participants complete any activity on your site vs a competitor’s site today
- Compare two competitors’ sites to identify opportunities for how to present information on your site
- Compare two versions of your site - perhaps an older version and a newer one to compare how customers react to new layouts and designs
How to Set up “Compare two websites”
1. Quick Answer Inputs
First, describe the activity you want participants to try. Start your description with a verb, but don’t include exact steps, such as “Click on this button. Then this link. Then go….”
The description is added to a pre-written sentence, so it’s a good practice to use a lowercase letter for the first word and not end with a period or other punctuation. Quick Answers converts your description into the test questions, so the wording you enter is what people will see.
Some examples include:
- sign up for the newsletter becomes
- Take as much time as you need to sign up for the newsletter
- find out when to report for jury duty becomes
- Take as much time as you need to find out when to report for jury duty
- change your profile picture becomes
- Take as much time as you need to change your profile picture.
Next you’ll need to provide a link to both websites you would like to test and give each one a simple name. Remember, you can point participants to any page on the sites. For example, if you want to test a store locator on two sites, you could have participants start at the store location page. The name you give the websites will be used to distinguish the two sites to participants within the test.
Lastly, give your test a name so it’s easy to recognize from other tests on your dashboard. Marketing Insight displays all your account’s tests on a single dashboard. This makes it easy to share tests with other stakeholders. When you’re done, click Select Demographics.
2. Select Demographics
The UserTesting panel is a diverse and global on-demand group of people who take tests. The panel is made up of real people, carefully selected after a thorough application process, who are continually rated by our customers, assuring the highest quality results. To find participants you’ll be able to select device type, set demographic filters, and create custom screener questions. These are detailed in Marketing Insight: Find the Right Participants.
3. Launching a test
- To see a list of all the questions the test asks participants, click the link under Tasks. To see what your test looks like to participants, click Preview Test to the right of the Test Plan Summary, then click Preview Test. When you finish the preview, click the Close button. ⓘ Note If you realize you need to add or remove a participant, or you find something you need to change in your inputs, do either of the following:
- Click Participants to add or remove test participants (requires additional purchases of the Participant Pack).
- Click Edit in the upper right. When you are done editing the test, click "Save and Go to Order Page."
Click Launch Test to send the test to the UserTesting Panel.
4. Reviewing Results
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email. To configure notifications, see Email notification preferences.
Open the email and click the “account dashboard” link in the order summary to go to the dashboard.
For each test, the dashboard displays the type of test—using the same icon from each Quick Answer button—the test name, the day you created it, and how many participants have and have not taken the test.
After all participants finish, a summary appears on your main dashboard.
Click a test title on the dashboard to go to the Summary tab on the Results page.
The Summary tab is a great place to start for Quick Answers. It summarizes the findings from the test: which site did the participants prefer. The answer is split into two automatically generated highlight reels (Watch key moments) to help you summarize and organize the findings based on the participants preferences.
Which site a participant prefers comes from Question 9 where we ask participants which site they prefer. The automatic highlight reels comes from Question 10 where we ask participants to explain their answer to Question 9.
The results table below the highlight reels provides a quick and easy way to scan through the results in greater detail. We’ve summarized the key findings in the following sub-tabs:
- Website A Experience
- Feelings about A
- Website B Experience
- Feelings about B
- Website A pros
- Website B pros
Most sub-tabs have brief written responses (provided by participants) to help you identify interesting responses more quickly. Once you’ve found feedback you’d like to dig into further, you can watch the video response from that participant by clicking on the written responses. This will take you to that specific moment in the video to hear what else they had to say about that particular experience. Alternatively you can watch their entire response by clicking on “Watch Session” below their screen name.
The results table on the Summary tab is where you are likely to find the most useful feedback and insights because it lets you focus on the most important questions and zero in on specific answers from individual participant’s without having to watch their complete sessions.
Click the Sessions tab to watch each participant’s complete video as they answer all the questions in order. Sessions are available as each participant finishes. There is a text field on the right for you to add a summary of the video. The Summary field is also useful for adding timecodes for moments of interest, such as a participant expressing delight with an experience, or complaining about a difficult interface.
Click the Metrics tab to watch participants’ videos broken down for every single question so you can easily skim the results. It’s essentially an expanded view of the results table on the Summary Tab.
Click the Details tab to see the demographics breakdown and an overview of the test plan’s tasks and questions.
How you get Quick Answers
After you click Launch Test, we send the test to participants in the UserTesting Panel who match the demographics you chose. These participants then answer any screener questions you added in order to qualify to take the test.
If you’d like to see what answering screener questions looks like from the participants’ view, watch this video.
Once they qualify, we ask them a series of questions about the task or activity you provided on both sites. We use the exact phrasing you provide for the task or activity when we ask the participants questions. This is why it’s important to start the sentence with a verb - for example “buy a car” or “find a TV.”
Here’s what we ask participants based on the questions you answered when you created the test:
- Launch URL: [URL 1]
- You have been taken to a new page. When you see the page, move on to the next step.
- Take as much time as you need to [activity]
- [Rating] In the previous task, you were asked to [activity]. How would you rate your experience on this website? Explain your answer. [5-point scale: Very negative to Very positive]
- [Written] What 1 word would you use to describe how this website made you **feel**? Please explain your answer.
- Launch URL: [URL 2]
You have been taken to a new page. When you see the page, move on to the next step.
- Take as much time as you need to [activity]
- [Rating] In the previous task, you were asked [activity]. How would you rate your experience on this website? Explain your answer. [5-point scale: Very negative to Very positive]
- [Written] What 1 word would you use to describe how this website made you feel? Please explain your answer.
- [Multiple Choice] Which website do you prefer? You’ll be asked to explain your answer in the next task. [Multiple Choice: Website 1, Website 2]
- [Verbal] Please explain your previous answer. Why do you prefer the website you selected? Be as detailed as possible.
- [Verbal] What, if anything, do you think K12 does better than Edgenuity to help you compare education success stories?
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in a few words. What, if anything, do you think K12 does better to help you compare education success stories?
- [Verbal] What, if anything, do you think Edgenuity does better than K12 to help you compare education success stories?
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in a few words. What, if anything, do you think Edgenuity does better to help you compare education success stories?
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email that the videos are ready to watch. Watch each participant’s entire video on the Session tab or wait for the fifth video session to be uploaded, at which point the highlight reels and results table are available.
Quick Answer: Discover Needs and Frustrations
Quick Answer: Test Messaging
Quick Answer: Test Creatives
Quick Answer: Choose between two options
Quick Answer: Understand behavior in mobile apps
Quick Answer: Understand Behavior on Websites
Marketing Insight: Live Conversation
Marketing Insight: Getting Started