Quick Answers allow you to collect recorded video feedback of customers or prospects as they complete tasks and answer questions independently and remotely. The tasks and questions are written for you by UserTesting. You can use the Choose between to options Quick Answer to answer common product development problems or to answer the most common marketing challenges. You can read about the other Quick Answers in Using Quick Answers.
When to use Choose between two options
For Choose between two options, we want to see which of two versions people prefer. This can be a feature, a color, a photograph, wording—anything where you want to see if people prefer Option A or Option B.
How to set up Choose between two options
Quick Answers Input
1. Depending on which dashboard you have, click Get Quick Answers.
Or click the New dropdown menu and select Create a test from a template.
From the template gallery, select the Quick Answers filter.
Then, find and click Choose between two options.
Important: Make sure the link to the document is set to View, so participants can’t make any changes. For help with sharing your document, see Limit how a file is shared.
2. Provide the link to the page that shows or describes both options you want participants to compare, labeled Option A and Option B.
Make sure everyone who has the link can access the page. The page can contain anything you want to compare: two images, two screenshots, or two versions of a word or sentence, and so on.
- To use the template, click the link. This opens a view-only Google doc with a simple two-column, two-row table. Choose File > Make a copy…. Then do any of the following:
- Replace the images with your own images or copy that you want participants to compare.
- Share the document with any stakeholders, writers, designers—anyone you want to view, comment on, or edit the document.
Then name your test so it’s easy to recognize from other tests on the dashboard.
At this point, you'll need to determine who should take your test.
- Participants from the UserTesting Panel
- Using My Recruit
3. Click Next.
- To see a list of all the questions the test asks participants, click the link under Tasks and Questions. To see what your test looks like to participants, click the Options Menu (three dots) to the right of the Test Plan Summary, then click Preview Test. When you finish the preview, click the Close button.
- To add or remove participants, click Participants.
- If you need to edit the URL or you entered text that included a typo, click Edit Details in the upper right. When you are done editing the test, click Save and Go to Order Page.
4. Click Launch Test to send the test to participants.
After you click Launch Test, we send the test to participants who match the demographics you chose. These participants then answer any screener questions you added in order to qualify to take the test.
Here’s what we ask participants based on the inputs you provided when you created the test:
- You'll be comparing 2 options that are still under consideration, and asked to answer some questions and provide feedback. You won’t be able to click on anything on the page. Remember to share your thoughts out loud. Go to the next question to start.
- [Verbal] One by one, review the content and images on the page. Explain in your own words what each means. **Spend no more than 5 minutes on this.**
- [Written] In one sentence, describe the difference between the options. Describe it in your own words, not using language from the page you see.
- [Verbal] Explain what about *Option A* is compelling to you.
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in a few words. What is **most** compelling about *Option A*?
- [Verbal] Explain what about *Option B* is compelling to you.
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in a few words. What is **most** compelling about *Option B*?
- [Multiple Choice] Which option do you prefer? Explain your answer. [Option A, Option B]
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in a few words. Which option did you prefer and why?
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email that the videos are ready to watch. Watch each participant’s entire video on the Session tab or wait for the fifth video session to be uploaded, at which point the content of the results tab is available.
Understanding the Results
For each test, the dashboard displays the test name, who created the test, when the test was last updated, and how many participants have and have not taken the test.
After all participants finish, a summary appears in the Results column. From the dashboard, click on a test title to be taken to the Results page.
The results tab details how many participants preferred Option A or Option B. You’ll also receive a video of each participant discussing their answers and explaining why they answered the way they did.
The Metrics and Session tabs provide the full recording broken out by question or participant respectively.
The Results tab is a great place to start analyzing the results of your Quick Answer test. It summarizes the findings from the test: Which options do participants prefer? The answer is split into two automatically generated highlight reels (Watch Participants) to help you summarize and organize the findings based on the participants' preferences.
Whether a participant prefers Option A or Option B comes from Question 8. We ask participants, “Which option do you prefer? Explain your answer.”
The automatic highlight reels show participants reviewing the content on the page and explaining in their own words what they mean. We get this information from Question 2 above. We ask participants: “One by one, review the content and images on the page. Explain in your own words what each means. **Spend no more than 5 minutes on this.**” and we record their comments as they explain their answers.
The results table below the highlight reels provides a quick and easy way to scan through the results in greater detail. We’ve summarized the key findings in the following sub-tabs:
- Difference between options
- Why Option A Is Compelling
- Why Option B is compelling
- Reason for Preference
Most sub-tabs have brief written responses (provided by participants) to help you identify interesting responses more quickly. Once you’ve found feedback you’d like to dig into further, you can watch the video response from that participant by clicking on the written responses. This will take you to that specific moment in the video to hear what else they had to say about that particular experience. Alternatively, you can watch their entire response by clicking on Watch Session below their screen name.
The results table on the Results tab is where you are likely to find the most useful feedback and insights because it lets you focus on the most important questions and zero in on specific answers from individual participants without having to watch their complete sessions.
You will also see tabs for:
- Sessions: a list of the session videos for all participants
- Metrics: a list of answers and links to videos for each task and question
- Details: demographic overview, tasks, and questions from the test
See this article for more details about the Results of Quick Answers tests.