Quick Answers are recorded video feedback of customers or prospects as they complete tasks and answer questions. The tasks and questions are written for you by UserTesting, and designed to answer the most common marketing challenges. You can read more about Quick Answers in Marketing Insight: Getting Started.
“Test Creatives” is one of seven types of Quick Answers in Marketing Insight. With it, you can determine whether images, creatives, videos or other visual material resonates with your intended audience.
After running this Quick Answer test, the Summary tab shows how many test participants found the visual positive or negative, and provides two automatically generated highlight reels - split based on their responses - of them discussing their answers and explaining why they answered the way they did.
If you want to dig into the findings, there are several options. The results table below the highlight reels provides additional feedback from participants about how they feel about that particular experience or activity. The Metrics and Session tabs provide the full recordings broken out by question or participant respectively.
When to use "Test creatives"
Use “Test creatives" to get fast feedback on images, videos, and other visuals used for your marketing campaigns:
- See whether your visuals have drive an inherently negative or positive reaction from customers
- Make sure the tone and message in your videos communicates what you intended, and avoid unintended interpretations
- Understand whether your logo and/or brand assets are recognizable
- Test competitive images or visuals to better understand how customers perceive your competitors
How to Set up "Test creatives"
1. Quick Answer Inputs
From the dashboard click Get Quick Answers, then click “Test creatives”
Enter a link to a publicly accessible page or document that features the image, video, graphic, or other visual content. The link needs to point to a single document, hosted online, and accessible and readable by a typical browser. The link can be to a Word or Google document, a Google Slides or PowerPoint presentation, a PDF, an image, or anything similar - but it should be publicly accessible (via Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, your site, etc.).
Then name your test so it’s easy to recognize from other tests on your dashboard. Marketing Insight displays your entire account’s tests on your dashboard. This makes it easy to share tests with other stakeholders. When you’re done, click Select Participants.
2. Select Participants
The UserTesting panel is a diverse and global on-demand group of people who take tests. The panel is made up of real people, carefully selected after a thorough application process, who are continually rated by our customers, assuring the highest quality results. To find participants you’ll be able to select device type, set demographic filters, and create custom screener questions. These are detailed in Marketing Insight: Find the Right Participants.
3. Launching a Test
- To see a list of all the questions the test asks participants, click the link under Tasks. To see what your test looks like to participants, click Preview Test to the right of the Test Plan Summary, then click Preview Test. When you finish the preview, click the Close button. ⓘ Note If you realize you need to add or remove a participant, or you find something you need to change in your inputs, do either of the following:
- Click Participants to add or remove test participants (requires additional purchases of the Participant Pack).
- Click Edit in the upper right. When you are done editing the test, click "Save and Go to Order Page."
Click Launch Test to send the test to the UserTesting Panel.
4. Reviewing Results
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email. To configure notifications, see Email notification preferences.
Open the email and click the “account dashboard” link in the order summary to go to the dashboard.
For each test, the dashboard displays the type of test—using the same icon from each Quick Answer button—the test name, the day you created it, and how many participants have and have not taken the test.
After all participants finish, a summary appears on your main dashboard.
Click a test title on the dashboard to go to the Summary tab on the Results page.
The Summary tab is a great place to start for Quick Answers. It summarizes the findings from the test: Do more participants find the visual positive or negative? The answer is split into two automatically generated highlight reels (Watch key moments) to help you summarize and organize the findings based on the participants preferences.
Whether a participant finds the visual positive or negative comes from Question 3. We ask participants, “
How would you rate your emotional reaction to this content” 1=Negative…5 = Positive. A score of 1, 2, or 3 means they found the visual negative. A score of 4 or 5 means they found the visual positive.
The automatic highlight reels show participants describing what they think the visual is trying to convey”. We get this information from Question 4 below. We ask participants: “In your own words, describe what's on the page. What is it trying to convey” and we record their comments as they explain their answers.
The results table below the highlight reels provides a quick and easy way to scan through the results in greater detail. We’ve summarized the key findings in the following sub-tabs:
- What draws attention
- Initial Feeling
- Description of Content
- Attractiveness of Content
- Appearance of Content
- Areas to Improve
Most sub-tabs have brief written responses (provided by participants) to help you identify interesting responses more quickly. Once you’ve found feedback you’d like to dig into further, you can watch the video response from that participant by clicking on the written responses. This will take you to that specific moment in the video to hear what else they had to say about that particular experience. Alternatively you can watch their entire response by clicking on “Watch Session” below their screen name.
The results table on the Summary tab is where you are likely to find the most useful feedback and insights because it lets you focus on the most important questions and zero in on specific answers from individual participant’s without having to watch their complete sessions.
Click the Sessions tab to watch each participant’s complete video as they answer all the questions in order. Sessions are available as each participant finishes. There is a text field on the right for you to add a summary of the video. The Summary field is also useful for adding timecodes for moments of interest, such as a participant expressing delight with an experience, or complaining about a difficult interface.
Click the Metrics tab to watch participants’ videos broken down for every single question so you can easily skim the results. It’s essentially an expanded view of the results table on the Summary Tab.
Click the Details tab to see the demographics breakdown and an overview of the test plan’s tasks and questions.
How you get Quick Answers
After you click Launch Test, we send the test to participants in the UserTesting Panel who match the demographics you chose. These participants then answer any screener questions you added in order to qualify to take the test.
If you’d like to see what answering screener questions looks like from the participants’ view, watch this video.
Once they qualify, we ask participants to record themselves while answering questions and providing feedback about the creative, image or visual you provided.
Here’s what we ask participants:
- [Written] Take as much time as you need to review the content presented. What, if anything, draws your attention or stands out to you? Explain your answer.
- [Verbal] State 1 word to describe how this makes you **feel**. Please explain your answer.
- [Rating] How would you rate your emotional reaction to this content? Please explain.
- [Verbal] In your own words, describe what's on the page. What is it trying to convey?
- [Written] Summarize your previous answer in one sentence. What is the content trying to convey?
- [Rating] I find the content to be attractive. Explain your answer [1- Strongly disagree, 5- Strongly agree]
- [Rating] The content has a clean and simple presentation. Explain your answer [1- Strongly disagree, 5- Strongly agree]
- [Verbal] If you had a magic wand, how would you improve this?
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email that the videos are ready to watch. Watch each participant’s entire video on the Session tab or wait for the fifth video session to be uploaded, at which point the highlight reels and results table are available.
Quick Answer: Discover Needs and Frustrations
Quick Answer: Test Messaging
Quick Answer: Understand behavior in mobile apps
Quick Answer: Choose between two options
Quick Answer: Compare two websites
Quick Answer: Understand Behavior on Websites
Marketing Insight: Live Conversation
Marketing Insight: Getting Started