Quick Answers allow you to collect recorded video feedback of customers or prospects as they complete tasks and answer questions independently and remotely. The tasks and questions are written for you by UserTesting. You can read about the other Quick Answers in Using Quick Answers.
When to use Test messaging
Use Test messaging in the Design and Build phases of your marketing campaign to:
- Get reactions to email copy including both subject line and body copy
- Test different messages on creatives to get a sense of which will perform the best and why without using any impressions
- Understand whether the messaging on your digital properties resonates with customers
- Test social media messages - including tweets or LinkedIn messages to avoid costly mistakes
- Get candid feedback on decks, datasheets, banners, and other marketing collateral
How to setup Test messaging
1. Quick Answer Inputs
Depending on which dashboard you have, click Get Quick Answers.
Or click the New dropdown menu, then select Create a test from a template.
From the template gallery, click the Quick Answers filter.
Next, find and select Test messaging.
2. Provide a link to a publicly accessible page or document that shows or describes the content. The link needs to point to a single document, hosted online. The link can be to a Microsoft or Google doc, a Slides or PowerPoint presentation, a PDF, image, text, or anything similar.
Important: Make sure the link to the document is set to View, so participants can’t make any changes. For help with sharing your document, see Limit how a file is shared.
Then name your test so it’s easy to recognize from other tests on the dashboard.
At this point, you'll need to determine who should take your test.
- Participants from the UserTesting Panel
- Using My Recruit
3. Click Next.
- To see a list of all the questions the test asks participants, click the link under Tasks and Questions. To see what your test looks like to participants, click the Options Menu (three dots) to the right of the Test Plan Summary, then click Preview Test. When you finish the preview, click the Close button.
- To add or remove participants, click Participants.
- If you need to edit the URL or you entered text that included a typo, click Edit Details in the upper right. When you are done editing the test, click Save and Go to Order Page.
Click Launch Test to send the test to the UserTesting Panel.
How you get Quick Answers
After you click Launch Test, we send the test to participants who match the demographics you chose. These participants then answer any screener questions you added in order to qualify to take the test.
Here’s what we ask participants based on the inputs you provided when you created the test:
- Please read the content presented out loud. Take as much time as you need. Move to the next task when you are finished. [Verbal Response]
- In your own words, describe what it says. What is the main point the content is trying to convey? [Verbal Response]
- Summarize your previous answer in one sentence. What is the main point the content is trying to convey? [Written Response]
- What questions or concerns, if any, do you have after reading this? [Verbal Response]
- Summarize your previous answer in one sentence. What questions or concerns, if any, do you have? [Written Response]
- What, if anything, draws your attention or resonates with you? Explain your answer. [Verbal Response]
- Summarize your previous answer in one sentence. What if anything, draws your attention or resonates with you? [Written Response]
- How clear was the purpose of this? Explain your answer. [5-point Rating Scale: Unclear to Clear]
- If you had a magic wand, how would you improve this? [Verbal Response]
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email that the videos are ready to watch.
Understanding the Results
For each test, the dashboard displays the type of test—using the same icon from each Quick Answer button—the test name, the day you created it, and how many participants have and have not taken the test.
After all the participants finish, a summary appears on your main dashboard.
Click a test title on the dashboard to go to the Results tab on the Results page.
The Results tab is a great place to start for Quick Answers. It summarizes the findings from the test: Do more participants understand the purpose of your message? Videos of your participants' open-ended feedback will display as Key Takeaways under the Results tab.
Whether a participant understands the purpose of your message comes from Question 8. We ask participants, “I understand the purpose of this. Explain your answer.” 1=Strongly disagrees; 5=Strongly agree.
- A score of 1 or 2 means they strongly disagree.
- A score of 3 is Neutral.
- A score of 4 or 5 means they strongly agree.
The automatic highlight reels show participants describing in their own words, the main point the content is trying to convey? We get this information from Question 2 below. We ask participants: “In your own words, describe what it says. What is the main point the content is trying to convey?
The results table below the highlight reels provides a quick and easy way to scan through the results in greater detail. We’ve summarized the key findings in the following sub-tabs:
- How it makes them feel
- What resonates
- Meaning of content
- Motivation to act
- Brand resonance
- What to improve
Most sub-tabs have brief written responses (provided by participants) to help you identify interesting responses more quickly. Once you’ve found feedback you’d like to dig into further, you can watch the video response from that participant by clicking on the written responses. This will take you to that specific moment in the video to hear what else they had to say about that particular experience.
The results table on the Results tab is where you are likely to find the most useful feedback and insights because it lets you focus on the most important questions and zero in on specific answers from individual participants without having to watch their complete sessions.
You will also see tabs for:
- Sessions: a list of the session videos for all participants
- Metrics: a list of answers and links to videos for each task and question
- Details: demographic overview, tasks, and questions from the test
See this article for more details about the Results of Quick Answers tests.