At a Glance
You either have received—or will soon receive—a URL inviting you to participate in a test for a company interested in getting your feedback. This feedback helps companies better understand what people are looking for and what they are experiencing on a website, app or other digital product. This insight, in turn, helps the company continue to provide the best products, services, and experiences to customers like you.
What to know before you begin...
- You’ll be provided with a URL to start your test. We recommend using the latest version of Chrome, however, Firefox, Edge, and Safari will also work. We don’t support Internet Explorer.
- An internal mic or headset with a mic must be plugged into your computer before you begin, to record your audio.
- Please temporarily disable or exit out of any apps that can interfere with the recording process or the upload, including ad blockers, firewalls, and anti-virus software
- To keep things simple, we recommend exiting any background apps and having just one browser window open.
- If you’re using a Mac, please make sure your browser isn’t in full-screen mode.
- To protect your privacy, please hide or remove any personal information or anything on your screen that you don’t want to be recorded.
- If you’re using a non-Chrome browser, you must use Windows 7, 8, or 10, or Mac OS X 10.7 or higher.
- Since we’ll need to upload your recording, please make sure you’re connected to strong internet, preferably a wired connection or good Wi-Fi. Other computer-system requirements (for both Windows and a Mac):
- Memory: At least 1 GB of total RAM and 600MB of available RAM
- Upload speed: At least 3.0 MBPS
- Free disk space: At least 7 GB
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your test uninterrupted, and that you’re in a quiet place.
How it works: step by step
Step 1: Submit your email address
Please note that your email is only used for identification purposes in this study. It will not be used for promotional reasons or added to a marketing database.
This is used to associate you with the test. After you enter your email, you’ll have 30 minutes to install the recorder and start the session. (If you’re unable to complete these steps within 30 minutes, your session expires, and you’ll have to start over, re-entering the same URL and your email address.)
Step 2: Install the recorder
You’ll be prompted to install a Chrome browser extension or a desktop app if you’re using a different web browser. You'll need the appropriate permissions to install software on your computer.
Tip: If you are using macOS Catalina, there are additional steps you will need to follow detailed here.
Note: For Live Conversation sessions, you will use Zoom, and therefore, do not have to download a UserTesting recorder. You will, however, need to be able to join a Zoom meeting on your computer.
Step 3: Start the session
When you’re ready to start the session, click the “Begin Feedback” button.
If you’re using multiple monitors, make sure we’re recording the right one.
Tips to help you complete your session:
- You’ll see prompts, tasks, and questions throughout the duration of the study that will tell you what you should do at every step. Just follow the directions and click the blue “Next” or “Start” button to progress through the study.
- Speak loudly, clearly, and honestly as you complete the tasks that are shown. Remember: the organization is conducting this study to improve their products and services, so don’t hold back in sharing your honest reactions.
Step 4: Share your final thoughts
Once you’ve finished the test, click Stop Recording. The recording will be sent to the company that requested it. Please keep the recorder app open on your desktop until the upload completes.
For Participant Support, visit the Panel help center.