Quick Answers allow you to collect recorded video feedback of customers or prospects as they complete tasks and answer questions independently and remotely. The tasks and questions are written for you by UserTesting. You can read about the other Quick Answers in Using Quick Answers.
When to use "Validate an idea"
"Validate an idea" is one of the available Quick Answers. The focus is on learning how customers react to an idea for a product or service. Think of this as a concept test, something you do before creating a full prototype. We ask customers a series of questions about your concept, and they also say if they think it is valuable.
Use "Validate an idea" in the Discover phase of the development process to:
- Get reactions to a product or feature idea
- Identify potential questions from customers
How to Set up "Validate an idea"
Quick Answer Inputs
1. From the dashboard click Get Quick Answers, then click "Validate an idea."
2. Provide a link to a publicly accessible page or document that shows or describes the content. The link needs to point to a single document, hosted online. The link can be to a Microsoft or Google doc, a Slides or PowerPoint presentation, a PDF, image, text, or anything similar.
Important: Make sure the link to the document is set to View, so participants can’t make any changes. For help with sharing your document, see Limit how a file is shared
Then name your test so it’s easy to recognize from other tests on the dashboard.
At this point, you'll need to determine who should take your test.
- Participants from the UserTesting Panel
- Using My Recruit
3. Click next.
- To see a list of all the questions the test asks participants, click the link under Tasks and Questions. To see what your test looks like to participants, click the Options Menu (three dots) to the right of the Test Plan Summary, then click Preview Test. When you finish the preview, click the Close button.
- To add or remove participants, click Participants.
- If you need to edit the URL or you entered text that included a typo, click Edit Details in the upper right. When you are done editing the test, click "Save and Go to Order Page."
4. Click Launch Test to send the test to the UserTesting Panel.
After you click Launch Test, we send the test to participants who match the demographics you chose. These participants then answer any screener questions you added in order to qualify to take the test.
Here’s what we ask participants based on the inputs you provided when you created the test:
- In one sentence describe the purpose of this idea. Describe it in your own words, not using language from the page you see. [Written Response]
- How valuable is this idea to you? You will be asked to explain your answer in the next question. [5-point Rating Scale: Not at all valuable to Very valuable]
- Please explain your previous answer. How valuable is this idea to you? [Verbal Response]
- Describe how you might benefit from using this. What will it help you do? [Verbal Response]
- Write 1-3 words that summarize your previous answer in the box below. How might you benefit? [Written Response]
- Which part of the idea is the **most** compelling to you? [Verbal Response]
- Write 1-3 words that summarize your previous answer in the box below. Which part is **most** compelling? [Written Response]
- Which part of the idea is the **least** compelling to you? [Verbal Response]
- Write 1-3 words that summarize your previous answer in the box below. Which part is **least** compelling? [Written Response]
As participants finish, the software uploads the recorded video to our system and notifies you by email that the videos are ready to watch. Watch each participant’s entire video on the Session tab or wait for the fifth video session to be uploaded, at which point the content of the results tab is available.
Understanding the Results
For each test, the dashboard displays the type of test—using the same icon from each Quick Answer button—the test name, the day you created it, and how many participants have and have not taken the test.
After all participants finish, a summary appears on your main dashboard.
The Results tab is a great place to start for Quick Answers. It summarizes the findings from the test: Do more people find this idea valuable or not valuable? The answer is split into two automatically generated highlight reels (Watch key moments) to help you summarize and organize the findings based on the participants' preferences.
Whether a participant finds the concept valuable or not at all valuable comes from Question 2. We ask participants, “How valuable is this idea to you? Explain your answer." [5-point Rating Scale: Not at all valuable to Very valuable].
A score of 1, 2, or 3 means they found the concept not at all valuable. A score of 4 or 5 means they found the concept very valuable.
Then we count how many of the five participants did or did not find the idea valuable.
- A score of 1, 2, or 3 = Not valuable
- A score of 4 or 5 = Valuable
The results table below the highlight reels provides a quick and easy way to scan through the results in greater detail. We’ve summarized the key findings in the following sub-tabs:
- Most compelling
- Least compelling
Most sub-tabs have brief written responses (provided by participants) to help you identify interesting responses more quickly. Once you’ve found feedback you’d like to dig into further, you can watch the video response from that participant by clicking on the written responses. This will take you to that specific moment in the video to hear what else they had to say about that particular experience.
The results table on the Results tab is where you are likely to find the most useful feedback and insights because it lets you focus on the most important questions and zero in on specific answers from individual participants without having to watch their complete sessions.
You will also see tabs for:
- Sessions: a list of the session videos for all participants
- Metrics: a list of answers and links to videos for each task and question
- Details: demographic overview, tasks, and questions from the test
See this article for more details about the Results of Quick Answers tests.