At a Glance
Getting feedback from all your target personas is easy with UserTesting. You can use demographic filters, screeners, and more features to ensure you are getting feedback from the right people.
Demographic information is collected when each contributor joins the UserTesting Contributor Network. By selecting these demographic filters in the test launcher, you can control the distribution of your test. Only users who meet your key demographics can view and accept your study.
- Basic demographics are available to all customers. These demographic filters include Age, Income, Gender, and Location.
- Advanced demographics (such as Employment status or Countries) are available with select plans.
The Other Requirements field can be used to let contributors know any special information or requirements regarding your study (e.g., "This test will require you to sign in with your Facebook account.").
Note: Because contributors see this before answering your screener questions, be sure not to “give away” any of the answers!
Screeners are multiple-choice questions that contributors have to answer correctly before they're able to accept your test. Use screeners to identify the contributors who can provide you the best feedback for your project.
Let's say that you're looking for contributors living in the United States, 25–35 years of age, who make online purchases using their smartphones.
Set the basic demographics:
- Age: 25–35 years old
- Countries: United States
Screener Question: "When, if ever, have you bought something using your smartphone?"
- Never. I've never purchased anything using my phone. [Reject]
- About a year ago. I rarely buy things using my phone. [Reject]
- Maybe 6 months ago. I sometimes buy things using my phone. [Reject]
- Within the last few weeks. I frequently buy things using my phone. [Must Select]
If you think you'd like to test with this exact screening criteria again, save that criteria by clicking the Save as Template button at the bottom of the page.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article, and when you submit your survey you'll be entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card. This survey should take 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential.