There are multiple ways to get insights from your tests but two of the most common ways are watching the videos and making clips. Clips can be shared individually or they can be combined to create a highlight reel that you can send out. Basic information on both methods is available below.
Another useful way to share insights, including tags, notes, and clips, is to share an overview of a test’s results from the Summary tab. Read more at Insights Summary.
Pssst, here’s a secret!
The easiest and fastest way to access insights is through our Instant Highlight Reels feature that stitches together responses to the same task from all the participants in your test. You can access these through the Metrics tab—read more at Instant Highlight Reels. If you don’t have access to Metrics, reach out to the Support team to have them enabled.
Make a clip
You can easily create clips from your video. These video clips can be shared as is, or multiple clips can be compiled into a highlight reel for sharing with others.
To begin, click on a video to go to the video player. To get a clip with just one step, simply click the Clip button underneath the video. This captures the previous and current phrases spoken by the participant. When you're happy with the clip, click Save. Learn more about Effectively using Notes and Clips.
Make a Highlight Reel
A highlight reel is a curation of any clips you've created. Once you have gone through and made clips from the original recording, you can make a highlight reel by selecting the Highlight Reels tab on your UserTesting dashboard and then clicking New Highlight Reel.
Your clips will be listed on the left. Search for clips by tag, keyword, or test title. Then simply select and drag your desired clips to create your highlight reel. You can preview or share your Highlight Reel by using the buttons in the top right corner.
Share your findings
Now that you’ve observed your data, you’re ready to share your insights! Easily share videos with a colleague or stakeholders; this can be a great way to promote a customer-centric culture in your company.
Below are a few of the ways you can distribute your findings to colleagues and stakeholders.
- Share: Copy the link, send an email, or post to Slack inviting colleagues to log in to view the videos. Non-members will be invited to join the account.
- Download: Download the video to your computer.
- Publish Test: Publish a custom page with the videos—this option does not require you to add people to your account.
Here are some things to consider when sharing your findings:
- Back up your claims with user quotes from the tests.
- Be careful not to place blame on any of your teammates. If you have a lot of negative findings, choose your words carefully. “Users found this feature frustrating” is much easier to hear than “This feature is terrible.”
- Encourage team members to ask questions about the findings, but remind them not to make excuses. The point is to learn about the customer experience, not to defend design decisions.
You've done it!
You can now proudly share the insights you’ve garnered from your first UserTesting test. Hopefully, you’ve seen how easy and valuable testing can be and you are on your way to incorporating user feedback into all of your business decisions.
Now that you’ve launched your first test, you can use it as a template to keep testing. This can be done by selecting “Create similar test” from the options menu on your dashboard. Then you can make minor adjustments to the test—for instance, you can change your demographic group and then quickly launch.
Finally, if you ever need help, our award-winning Support team is always happy to help.
You can live chat with them directly, via the UserTesting platform during business hours.
Call us at 1 (800) 903‒9493 (US & Canada)
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 9 pm ET