At a Glance
You can control who can see videos, clips, and highlight reels using workspaces and account-level sharing settings.
Most accounts prefer to be able to share some videos with non-account members. For example, one might share clips or highlight reels with management without requiring managers to have a UserTesting account.
Sometimes accounts require that anyone viewing a video, clip, or highlight reel both be a member of their UserTesting account and logged in before seeing the video.
Depending on how account and workspace privacy is set, the requirements for viewing videos are different. Note that viewership is based on the link setting of the individual video, clip, or highlight reel.
By default, accounts have "anyone on this account" as the Share Default Setting and Restrict All Share Links option is turned off. (This is a toggle button, which you can navigate to by clicking your account button at the top left of your dashboard, choosing Account Settings, choosing the Security tab on the right, and scrolling to the bottom.)
Video-Level Share Settings
When sharing assets, the first option that appears in the “Viewable by” menu is the account’s Share Default Setting, which is set at the bottom of the General tab under Settings (see the Account-level Share Settings section below).
When team members share a video, clip, or highlight reel, they can change the privacy of the link through these "Viewable by" menu options. (This setting applies only to the specific URL of the asset being shared.) For Open workspaces, these two drop-down menu options appear:
- Anyone on this account: This setting allows videos, clips, and highlight reels to be viewed by any member of your account. Members must be logged in to view shared assets.
- Anyone with the link: This setting allows videos, clips, and highlight reels to be viewed by anyone who has the link. No login is required.
Anyone in this private workspace: This option appears when private workspaces are involved. If you choose this option, then only members of this workspace will be able to view videos, clips, and highlight reels therein.
- Links are persistent and retain the Share Default Setting chosen by any member.
- Notes and clips for shared videos can be viewed by account members and edited by workspace members.
- If you want to share but you are unsure who is on your account or need to invite someone to join the account, then share the asset by email.
- When sharing by Slack, you can use typical Slack message formatting, such as @ to tag a user and * for bold.
Account-Level Share Settings
The account admin can set account-level share settings under the General tab, onto the Account Settings page, under the Security tab.
Note: These settings are only visible to the account admin.
At the bottom of the page under Security & Sharing Preferences, the admin can apply a Share Default Setting across all open workspaces on the account.
The available settings here correspond to those seen when sharing individual video clips (refer to the "Video clip-level Share settings" section above).
- Anyone on this account: This setting allows sharing of videos, clips, and highlight reels with any member of your account. Members must be logged in to view shared assets. This is the default setting on most accounts.
- Anyone with the link: This setting allows members to share videos, clips, and highlight reels with anyone who has the link. No login is required.
- The setting does not affect private workspaces, which maintains a default of Anyone in this private workspace.
For accounts that want more control over sharing, the Restrict All Share Links option overrides the Share Default Setting and applies to all existing links, even those that have been shared previously. As with the Share Default Setting, only the account admin can change this setting.
With Restrict All Share Links off, the Share Default Settings remain unchanged. The default setting for most accounts is “off.”
When the Restrict All Share Links setting is turned on, the only available share option for open workspaces will be Anyone on this account.
- All links to videos, clips, and highlight reels will require viewers to be a UserTesting account member and to log in to view assets. This includes previously shared links.
- Private workspace members will still have the option to share with members of the private workspace or with anyone on the account.
Note Once turned on, this update cannot be undone. Even if the setting is later changed from on back to off, existing links remain restricted and continue to require login until their link settings are changed to Anyone with the link.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.