Adobe XD is a platform for designing and prototyping digital experiences. The UserTesting plugin allows you to initiate gathering of feedback on your prototype and sketches within Adobe XD. With one click, you can start the process of gathering the essential feedback and validation you need to continue iterating towards a successful product or feature launch.
How it works
By selecting the UserTesting plugin from the Plugins dropdown within Adobe XD, you can speed through the initial steps of test setup. Once you’ve made your selections and clicked on Go to UserTesting, you will be referred to the UserTesting platform to select demographics and other targeting, to finalize and share your test.
Setup the UserTesting plugin in Adobe XD
While on the Adobe XD home screen, you can select Add-ons and select the UserTesting plugin from the options featured.
You can also start the setup process by selecting Plugins from the Adobe XD menu bar. elect Discover Plugins to display the All Plugins modal. In the search box, type UserTesting. When the UserTesting Plugin is displayed, click the Install button to add the plugin to Adobe XD.
Start using the UserTesting plugin
Once you have successfully completed the authorization steps, you will be able to start using the UserTesting plugin.
The first step is to publish your prototype or design in Adobe XD in order to get a shareable URL. Click the share icon and then select Publish Prototype. For more information on this, please reference this Adobe XD Help Center article or watch this video on sharing prototypes and design specs.
After you have generated a shareable URL of your prototype within Adobe XD, click on Plugins from the menu toolbar, select the UserTesting plugin, and make your selections:
- Select your audience. You can choose to get feedback from the UserTesting Panel, our diverse on-demand panel of consumers across the globe. Or you can select My Users, which will create a test that you can share with your customers, employees or anyone in your network (using UserTesting’s My Recruit feature). Note: access to either of these audiences is dependent on your subscription type.
- Select your template. Each template provides clear instructions and unbiased questions that you can customize to your needs.
- Prototype - multi-page clickable design (See: Template)
- Mockup - a single page design (See: Template)
- New - a blank test (See: Template)
- Give your test a name. This is the name that will be shown in your UserTesting dashboard.
- Paste the prototype public URL. This is the URL that you generated from Adobe XD as the first step in this process.
Once you have completed these steps, click on Go to UserTesting. This will open a browser window and display the newly created test. You are able to update the participant details and tasks. Please note any sections enclosed in ✏️✏️and brackets should be updated.
Once at UserTesting you can select your demographics, review and update your tasks then submit the test to receive feedback. All updates will be available on your UserTesting dashboard.
Disable the UserTesting plugin
Disabling the connection between your UserTesting account and Adobe XD can be done on the UserTesting platform or in Adobe XD.
Disable from UserTesting platform
To disable the UserTesting Power-Up from within the UserTesting platform, click Setting from the dropdown menu in your dashboard. Then, select the Integrations tab.
Click the Disconnect button for the UserTesting plugin for Adobe XD.
Disable from Adobe XD
To disable the plugin from Adobe XD, launch the UserTesting plugin from the Plugins menu then select Log out and complete the confirmation step (see below).
If you click the Log out link in the top right corner of the modal, this removes the previously granted permissions. To re-establish the connection you will need to complete the authorization flow the next time you launch the UserTesting plugin.
Related Article: Mobile prototype testing with other tools