At a Glance
The Adobe XD plugin empowers design teams to optimize their prototypes by easily capturing customer feedback. In just a few steps you can test your prototypes directly from the XD platform and integrate human insights throughout your design process.
The Adobe XD plug-in is available on the following subscriptions:
|Flex plan||Seat-based plan|
|Advanced ✓||Professional ✓|
|Ultimate ✓||Premium ✓|
Click on the following header titles to skip to that section of the article:
- How it works
- Set up the UserTesting plugin in Adobe XD
- Start using the UserTesting plugin
- Validate prototype test plan questions
How it works
After connecting the UserTesting plugin from Adobe XD, you need to complete just three steps and you'll be able to run a Validate a Prototype Quick Answer test—a professionally designed test—right from the Adobe XD platform. Once the results are in, usually within a few hours, you'll have the feedback needed to answer critical design questions and elevate the experiences of your customers.
This version of the Adobe XD plugin provides simpler testing and a more streamlined experience.
Note: This feature is only available on accounts where Quick Answers is enabled.
Set Up the UserTesting Plugin in Adobe XD
- From the Adobe XD plugin page, select the UserTesting plugin.
- When the UserTesting plugin is displayed, click the Connect button to add the plugin to Adobe XD.
There is no need to have admin approval to install the plugin.
Start using the UserTesting plugin
After connecting your UserTesting account, you can start using the plugin.
Create a Shareable Link
To get started, you need to generate a shareable link to your prototype or design in Adobe XD. Each Adobe XD file you want to share needs its own link. You only need to generate the link once and it updates automatically after that.
If you’ve already shared your file, you already have a link and can skip this step.
Otherwise, follow these three steps:
- Go to the Share tab in Adobe XD.
- Give your Adobe XD file a title (if you haven’t already).
- Set the Link Access permissions setting to ”Anyone with the link” and click Create Link.
For more information on this, please reference this Adobe XD Help Center article or watch this video on sharing prototypes and design specs.
Run a Quick Test
- After you’ve created a shareable link of your prototype within Adobe XD, it’s time to run a test. Click on "Plugins" from the menu toolbar, select the "UserTesting" plugin.
2. Next, complete the form to set up your test. The test is professionally designed to help validate a prototype, uncover usability issues, and determine whether people find your design or prototype valuable in terms of helping them complete an activity. (See the test questions at the bottom of this article.)
First, give your test a name so that it’s easy to find.
Then choose an activity that you want the contributors to do using your prototype. Write the single task as a phrase—don’t include step-by-step instructions, such as “Click this button. Then go to this link.”
Tips: Start the task description with a simple verb in lowercase. The test template will convert your phrase into the test questions. So you want your wording to work with the question.
Some task examples include:
- find a pair of shoes to buy becomes: Take as much time as you need to find a pair of shoes to buy.
- book a hotel room for a weekend becomes: Take as much time as you need to book a hotel room for the weekend.
- change your profile picture becomes: Take as much time as you need to change your profile picture.
3. Next, select your audience. You can get feedback in two types of audiences:
- Saved Audience: A contributor group with preset demographics and screener questions that has already been saved to your UserTesting account.
- Invite Network: We’ll generate a link to your study and provide you with an email template that you can use to share information about the test with your customers, employees, or anyone in your network.
Note: Access to either of these audiences depends on your subscription type. Learn more about Saved Audiences and about Invite Network.
Get feedback from a saved audience
Get feedback from preset audiences saved to your UserTesting account.
- Choose Saved Audience and then click Select Audience.
- Next, choose a saved audience from your account.
If your account doesn’t have any Saved Audiences yet, go to UserTesting to create one or use the Invite Network feature.
3. Click Launch Test and the test is sent to contributors automatically.
Get feedback using Invite Network
You can get feedback from anyone to whom you decide to send an invitation link.
- To use Invite Network, choose Invite Network and click Share Test.
2. Now all you need to do is invite people to take your test. You can do this in two ways:
- Use the invitation template that we email you.
- Copy the link and share it with anyone you want to take your test.
Viewing your results
Once your test results are in, you’re notified by email. All updates will be available on your UserTesting Dashboard.
- Click the test name on the Dashboard to see the test results.
- Use the tabs across the top of the page to view the Results, Sessions, Metrics, Summary page, and test plan Details.
- Use the tabs down the side on the Results tab to view responses to individual questions.
4. When you watch session videos, you can make clips, take notes, and share clips with teammates and stakeholders.
Learn more about results in a Validate a Prototype test.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article, and when you submit your survey you'll be entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card. This survey should take 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential.