Previewing a test will give you a full testing experience from the user’s perspective. Doing so will give you a better idea of how your task instructions will appear for the testing participants. In order to launch a preview, you’ll be prompted to install the UserTesting screen recorder. Below are the answers to some common preview-related questions.
Q: Do I need to preview a test before launching it?
No, you don't. We find that some corporate firewall settings block your ability to preview a test. If your work network doesn’t allow you to install such software, please feel free to use the old Preview Test feature, or launch a pilot test ( a test launched to just one participant) and review the video before launching more.
Q: Can I preview a test on my mobile device?
Yes. You can use My Recruit to preview your own tests as long as you have an iOS 12+ or Android 7+ device:
- From the Drafts page duplicate your draft and use the options menu to change the preview draft to my recruit.
- Launch the test and then use the My Recruit URL to take the test yourself
- You don't need to upload the video. You can exit our app at anytime and then cancel the preview test from your dashboard.
Q: Does "Preview Test" work for mobile tests?
At this time, we're unable to provide a preview functionality for mobile tests.
Q: I'm having trouble launching the preview.
There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot if this happens.
- Did you run into any issues downloading or installing the recorder? This Screen Recorder FAQ lists the minimum system requirements and some common applications that could block the UserTesting recorder.
- Is there any other software (anti-virus or firewall, for example) running in the background that could block the recorder from launching?
- Does restarting your computer and trying the preview from a different browser work? Note that Internet Explorer is not a supported browser.
- Does running the preview on a different computer or network work?
We find most preview-related errors are due to corporate network restrictions. We suggest trying to launch your preview from a guest wifi network, if available, or speaking to your IT department and asking them to whitelist the following domains:
Additionally, you should whitelist the IPs from Fastly. Fastly is the CDN (content delivery network) we use.
Q: Is it recording anything?
No. Please rest assured that it doesn’t record anything from your computer and you don’t need to have a microphone for it to work.
Q: Can I cancel a session after a preview?
Yes, here is an article on how to cancel a pending session