At a Glance
Test preview allows you to view a test from the perspective of the contributor. This article provides information on how to preview a test and answers some common preview-related questions.
When to Preview Your Test
Once you have created your test in the UserTesting platform, preview it. This will help you understand what the contributors will experience when they answer your screener questions and take your test.
- For each audience in your test, select the Preview screener button to ensure that the questions and answers are written clearly.
- Upon entering all the tasks into your test, select the Preview test plan button.
When previewing your test, ensure the tasks flow as you expect, task wording is correct, and all links are functioning. Also see this article on common mistakes to avoid.
After you preview—when you feel your test is ready—conduct a pilot test.
How to Preview a Desktop Test
To preview your test on a desktop computer, select the Preview test plan button.
This will start the process by prompting you to install the UserTesting screen recorder and then proceeding through the test. You will see the task instructions in the same way they will appear for the individuals taking the test.
Note: your screen and voice are NOT recorded during the preview.
If you are having difficulty launching the preview, see the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
How to Preview a Mobile Test
To preview your test on a mobile device, use the QR code presented when you select the Preview test plan button. See this article for details on Preview for mobile tests.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My company won't let me download and install software.
If your work network or company policy doesn’t allow you to install the UserTesting screen recorder, you can select the quick preview link on the Preview test plan dialogue or review your test in it’s text format from the link on the test summary page.
This is not an exact match to how the contributors will experience your test, but will allow you to focus on the flow, wording, and links included in your test.
Q: I'm having trouble launching the preview.
There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot if this happens.
- Did you run into any issues downloading or installing the recorder? This Screen Recorder FAQ lists the minimum system requirements and some common applications that could block the UserTesting recorder.
- Is there any other software (anti-virus or firewall, for example) running in the background that could block the recorder from launching?
- Does restarting your computer and trying the preview from a different browser work? Note that Internet Explorer is not a supported browser.
- Does running the preview on a different computer or network work?
We find most preview-related errors are due to corporate network restrictions. We suggest trying to launch your preview from a guest wifi network, if available, or speaking to your IT department and asking them to add the following domains to their Allow List:
- The IPs from Fastly to the Allow List. Fastly is the CDN (content delivery network) that UserTesting uses.
- The IPs from Okta to your Allow List. Okta is the identity/authorization provider that UserTesting uses.
Q: Can I preview a test on my mobile device?
Yes! You will use the QR code presented when you select the Preview test plan button. See this article for details on Preview for mobile tests.
Q: Is it recording anything?
No. Please rest assured that it doesn’t record anything from your computer and you don’t need to have a microphone for it to work.
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Want to learn more about this topic? Check out our University courses.