On this page:
Overview of How It Works
- Build your UserZoom Survey with your desired capabilities: Basic and advanced question formats including Rank Order, Matrix Questions, Piping (carry answers forward to another question), Logic, Conditions, Randomization/Grouping, and even a Tree Test.
- Recruit contributors from the UserTesting Contributor Network.
- Contributors will start in UserTesting to answer screener questions, jump to UserZoom to take the Survey, then return to UserTesting to be marked as 'Complete' and be paid by UserTesting.
- Review Survey Results (data, charts, rating/rank order results, heatmaps) in UserZoom. If you asked contributors to Think-Out-Loud during the Survey, you'll review video insights in UserTesting.
Tips for success:
- Keep the combined length of the study to 10 minutes or less.
- Include messaging on both studies to let contributors know what’s happening (jumping between studies).
- Consider the device you want users to test with, then size your images appropriately (e.g., don’t expect users on a mobile device to be able to read a desktop-sized image). Then set both studies for that device.
Check out our quick video to see it in action!
Build Two Studies
On the UserTesting Platform: Choose the UserTesting Template named UserZoom Survey Test Plan from the Template gallery.
Recruiting - Set targeting criteria and add screener questions.
Set the number of contributors needed. If you want to run a pilot test, start with one and review the results, then increase the count if the survey is understood.
- On the UserZoom Platform: Duplicate the UserZoom Template named UserTesting Recruiting for UserZoom Survey. You can create a new study or duplicate an existing one.
- On the UserZoom Platform: Go to the UserZoom Study Details Tab and leave the Legal Concept checkbox open.
Users have already accepted terms and privacy in the UserTesting study.
- On the UserZoom Platform: Go to the Recruitment Tab and open Recruit your own users. There you’ll find these configurations:
A) Toggle = Active
B) Number of Participants = Unlimited
C) Select the button to Copy multi-use link
Note: Don't include screening questions; you've already qualified users on UserTesting.
On the UserZoom Platform: Go to the Study Builder Tab. On the Questionnaire segment, there will be an open-ended question to collect your contributors' UserTesting usernames for easier identification purposes when you analyze your results.
Select Final Pages & Redirects to configure the last message users will see on UserZoom.
- On the UserTesting Platform: Review instructions and wording to make sure they match your research intentions. Update the Scenario and Test Plan as needed.
Paste the UserZoom Invitation Link into the Launch URL task within the body of the UserTesting test plan.
Test and Launch
To test the user experiences of the study round-trip:
A) Launch just the UserZoom study by going to the Monitor tab and selecting the Launch to participants button.
B) In the UserTesting study, use the Preview link to test the flow.
C) Make any additional edits as needed.
D) After you are done testing, use the Clear Data link in UserZoom on the Monitor tab to remove this tester data.
- On the UserTesting Platform: Launch the study and begin recruiting contributors.
- Log into UserZoom to view study results (charts, graphs, rating/rank order results, heatmaps from Click Tests, etc.)
- Log into UserTesting if you captured Think-Out-Loud video.
- Review feedback as it starts coming in. You don't need to wait for the study to completely fill.
Need more information? Read these related articles:
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.