At a Glance
This article highlights how to run prototype tests and how to best utilize a variety of prototyping tools in conjunction with UserTesting.
You can get feedback on your mobile prototypes with UserTesting. Extract the sharing URL from your prototyping tool of choice, and include it as the starting URL for your test.
We support a broad range of prototyping tools, though some have certain limitations. Each tool is linked for further detail and instruction.
When testing your mobile prototype with UserTesting, keep these things in mind:
- When launching an app test, you will need to point to the app the user needs to download. Then, you can provide a link to the prototype in the first task of their test.
- Some versions of prototyping software allow for password-protecting the prototypes. Those passwords can be provided in a task following a URL Asset task. You can then change the password after the test to protect the privacy of the prototype.
- Always be sure to indicate if you are testing prototypes or mockups, especially if they are not clickable. This ensures the test contributors understand and provide the intended feedback.
Learn more about the UserTesting + Adobe XD plugin.
Axure is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android, and prototypes will be automatically entered into fullscreen mode.
To run a test, follow the instructions here to host your prototype online. The instructions also tell you how to find the URL for your prototype. Copy that URL. Then, create a prototype test in UserTesting and paste the URL as the starting URL in the Starting Instructions.
Tip: We suggest using a URL shortener with Axure links, especially in launch URL tasks.
Figma is fully supported within the UserTesting Mobile iOS and Android recorders.
The Mobile Recorder automatically enters Flinto prototypes into full-screen mode (hiding the status bar).
To run your test, order a prototype test from UserTesting, and paste your prototype’s quick link as the URL to start the test.
Flinto for Mac
Flinto for Mac mobile prototypes is only accessible on iOS devices. Testing a Flinto for Mac prototype requires extensive set-up by the testers and is not recommended for self-service testing—contact your Customer Success Manager for information on working with the Professional Services team to set up your test.
Framer prototypes are fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile recorder on iOS and Android, and prototypes will be automatically entered into fullscreen mode (hiding the status bar).To test your prototype, order a prototype test from UserTesting, and paste your prototype’s Share link to start the test.
InVision Cloud is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android. The Mobile Recorder automatically:
- Displays InVision prototypes in full-screen mode (hiding the status bar)
- Dismiss the "Preview in Browser" and “Add to Home Screen” prompt
To test your prototype, order a prototype test from UserTesting, using the share link for the prototype as the URL to start the test:
- Click “Share” on your completed InVision prototype
- Copy the share link
If you’d like to share a specific screen in your prototype, use the following instructions to retrieve the URL:
- Click on the screen you want to share in your InVision prototype
- Click “Share” in the lower right-hand corner and copy the share link
Justinmind is supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on Android and iOS.
Note that Justinmind prototypes do not scale correctly on larger phones (on Safari, and on the Mobile Recorder).
Use the following instructions to set up your test:
- Open the Share menu in Justinmind Prototyper and select Share. This will open a web page listing your prototypes.
- Scroll to the prototype you want to test, and click on “Actions: Integrate with usability testing tools.”
- Select UserTesting, and copy the prototype public link URL.
- Click Save, and you’ll be taken directly to the UserTesting test ordering page.
- Select Prototype test, and paste the prototype public link as the starting URL in the starting instructions.
Marvel is fully supported by the UserTesting Mobile Recorder on iOS and Android. The Mobile Recorder automatically enters Marvel prototypes into full-screen mode (hiding the status bar).
To run your test, order a prototype test from UserTesting, and paste the prototype link as the URL to start the test.
(Note: We’ve seen cases in which very complex prototypes overwhelm the mobile browser.)
Proto.io allows you to generate a sharable URL that can be opened in a mobile browser, or via the Proto.io app. Find detailed information here.
To reduce friction, we suggest using the mobile browser option. If you'd like test contributors to use the app, you'll want to advise them of this in the screener and provide appropriate instructions for downloading the app.
ProtoPie requires the contributors to download an app before mobile web testing. This complicated flow can be difficult for test contributors. We suggest adding a screener question that indicates this additional requirement so that potential test contributors can "opt in".
Need more information? Read these related articles.
Please provide any feedback you have on this article. Your feedback will be used to improve the article and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Article evaluations will remain completely confidential unless you request a follow-up.